Independent Duchy of Corussa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Guild Wars 2 roleplaying guild.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duchess Aislin
Admin
Duchess Aislin

Character sheet
Name: Mealla Aislin
Class: Elementalist

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? Empty
PostSubject: Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start?   Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? ZE1Ed
Given the duchy's large scope, and the intent to be as open as possible, there are many ways for people to fit into the duchy's political and social scheme. The main points are outlined here as an overview.

This list is by no means exclusive, or exhaustive, but it does cover the primary areas of interest that people have enjoyed in RP throughout many different games and RP experiences. It is broken down into military and civilian life, but the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The intent is to grow these different aspects of the Duchy into vibrant, active parts of the community as a whole.

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? CzaJ4
Traders / Artisans / Farmers: The backbone of the duchy's population are the people who put their blood, sweat, and tears into the day-to-day life of the duchy, bringing in food and resources, creating goods, exporting to other communities, both near and far. While not necessary living glorious lives of adventure, there's no doubt that an army without food soon loses all desire to fight, and a soldier with a broken sword will find themselves easy pickings for enemy warriors. The shopkeepers, crafters, hunters and miners who live in the duchy keep things going through keeping a constant flow of goods and services. If you want to be an ordinary townsfolk, then this could be the spot for you.

Scholars / Researchers / Academic Mages: Some just find that the life of a farmer doesn't cut it for them. They see the world and are curious about its workings. They see long forgotten ruins and want to know about the people who built them. They look into the sea and wonder at the mysteries of its depths. They see a dusty old tome, and the dust is as the sand of a vast desert on their expedition through the pages. In its past, Corussa has always valued sharp minds and quick thinkers; those who get to the bottom of secrets and are always concerned with the deep questions. Before the Duchy was overrun by centaurs in the traitorous plotting of corrupt advisors, there was a dream to form a school of ideas and magic: The Whitespire Conservatory. Reclaiming the duchy's lands is a new chance for this academy to flourish.

Entertainers: No society is complete without entertainment, either through art, poetry, music, or a good old fashioned festhall. The leaders of the duchy, being of enlightened mindset, are fond patrons of the arts, either music, dance, poetry, drama, or painters. Where there are taverns there are tavern singers, and where there are courts there are court bards; Corussa is no different. It's our hope to encourage in-game entertainers through providing a forum through which they can share their creativity, possibly through organized thematic events, or through the random RP that makes a guild a community.

Other Possible Openings: Innkeeper, barmaid, entertainment / dramatic troupe, brewer, caravan guard, travelling merchant.

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? CKsYD
Town Guards: So, you're the kind of person who likes to protect those who can't protect themselves? You value your home and would fight, and possibly die to protect it? Things just aren't like they were in the good old days, and you're going to set them right? Take an arrow to the knee when you were a whippersnapper of an adventurer? Lots of questions with perhaps complex interpretations, but a simple answer: guard. You are a patriot and aren't afraid to shout it from the rooftops, and darn it, you're not going to let centuars or criminals ruin your home. You like that others depend on you for their safety. Perhaps it's the sense of power, or that you enjoy that implicit trust. In either case, the position of a town guard suits you just fine.

Privateer: You might have tried farming once. Perhaps used a smith's hammer or tailor's needle. None of it felt right. You were far too restricted in that sort of life. You always liked a good fight, and you have realized that there's money to be made for those with a strong sword arm or a fireball up their sleeve. Merchants need guards, and there's always plunder after a battle. You can support your family, or your preferred lifestyle of hard drink and fawning women just as much as those dirt pushers and their plants. Sure you respect that you eat because of them, but you know the taste of battle and it's where you belong. You work with the duchy's privateer forces to protect when needed, or more often to go abroad, see the world, and bring in the coin. You might be a thief or a pirate. Now you have a legitimate excuse to ply your trade, and a safe place to return to when you have a bag full of plunder.

Local Militia / Standing Army: Not really interested in being a guard, but still want to protect your home and show those centaurs a what for? The standing army or the local militia might be the place for you. Keep your day job, or make the army your day job.

The Silver Oak: Do you see yourself as more of a bodyguard than a soldier or town guard? Do you feel at home among courtly intrigue and banter? Does the feeling of fine silk and the scent of floral perfume seem like a nicer deal than the trenches? Maybe you want to be a member of the The Silver Oak Honour Guard, a personal guard to the Duchess or another noble in Corussa?

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start? Jd0Sh
Are you more political minded, or do you have a desire to be active as a patron of the community? Do you want to be involved in the matters of court or the citizen's council? Once you establish yourself, these venues become open to you, should you desire to climb the ranks within the guild. There's lots of room for growth, and the above listings are just an introduction into guild life from a newcomer's perspective. If your character doesn't fit any of those molds, we can probably find a way to make them fit.

Maybe nothing listed above quite fits you. You have a dark past or a dark present that you keep hidden under the facade of a respectible person. You know what you want, and you want to take it. You want to be rich, live comfortably, and eventually retire to your own island somewhere to enjoy the fruit of your labour? There still might be a spot for you, if you're cunning enough, and have the finesse to make it work.
Back to top Go down
https://duchyofcorussa.canadian-forum.com

Roles Within the Duchy - Where Can I Fit In When I Start?
Page 1 of 1