Independent Duchy of Corussa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Guild Wars 2 roleplaying guild.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Our Story Begins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duchess Aislin
Admin
Duchess Aislin

Character sheet
Name: Mealla Aislin
Class: Elementalist

Our Story Begins Empty
PostSubject: Our Story Begins   Our Story Begins I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 6:59 pm

A young woman stands in the middle of a small, but attentive crowd in the center of a market square in Divinity's Reach. This particular market is neither marked by excess nor lack, being fairly typical of what the commoners of the city are accustomed to. The crowd is a thorough mix of the economic and political hodge-podge that is what's left of the human race; sporting commoners in wools and linens, a few nobles in their silks, laces, and sheers, some folks bearing the threadbare rags of hard living. Several charr guards are watching with critical interest, their keen sense of opportunity acutely aware, and picking apart the words that the woman speaks. A large norn, heavily bearded and even more heavily muscled, stands with a heavy hammer over his shoulder, his bare hairy chest tattooed with the raven totem he venerates. An Asura watches from a perch on a nearby garden wall. While open to the air, the crowded square carries wafts of heady perfume and stale sweaty bodies, and the scent of cheap ale is ubiquitous so close to the doors of several taverns. The woman who speaks stands on an upended crate so that all who have gathered can see her.

"Citizens of Divinity's Reach, lovers of freedom and independence, listen to what I have to say!" The woman is
above average height, and slender of form, with hair the colour of dark mahogany. As she speaks, it's apparent that she carries herself with poise and dignity, and it's obvious she's of the nobility, but there's a clear sense that she has spent enough time among commoners to be comfortable addressing them face-to-face.
"Every day we watch as more and more people come through the city gates with nowhere to go," she continues, "and we watch as even the orphanages become so overcrowded that they must turn away hungry children. Every day, the lands which we can call home are overrun with beasts, both intelligent and wild, and the lands that remain become less and less sufficient to support those who flee to them. How long will it be until your children are lined up to receive the charity of the temples? How long until the incessant stream of people coming into this great city turns it into a pit of squalor that's too crowded to live in? How long until disease and thievery run rampant throughout the streets?"

The woman looks over the crowd, being sure to catch the eyes of those with children, those bearing weapons, and those who just seem keen to hear what she says.

"Civilization has been pushed to the brink, and now stands on the precipice. If Divinity's Reach falls, so too does the greater part of humanity, and all the good that it can do. I ask you, would you rather wait for the slow decay of time to ravage this city and its people, or would you rather fight to ensure the survival of your species, of your children, and your legend?" She looks to the norn, "Would you stand for a cause that could earn you a place in the histories of not just humans, but of norn, asura, charr and sylvari?" She looks to the Charr, "Would you pass up the opportunity to make your own destiny?" To the asura on the wall, "What about the chance to document the rise of something historic as it happens, and to have your name on the chronicles?" She spots a Sylvari that seems to have a piqued curiosity, "The Sylvari have a dream they hold dear. I do as well."

She gives the crowd a moment to ponder over what she has said so far, some seeming very interested, some dismissive, and still others carefully weighing her words.

"My ancestral lands have been overrun for nearly twenty years. My father's most trusted advisors turned against him, and turned their loyalties to the centaurs. I have lived in the home we kept in Divinity's Reach since that day, and bided my time. Now, with the press of the plight we face, and with the hope of a better future, I intend to take those lands back. The estates my family has claim to are large enough to support a town, and once did. I know not if we will find ruins in decay or luxurious homes in the keep of traitors, but I do know this: any of you who come with me will share in the rewards, and share in the legend we can build together. If you only wish to farm and live in peace, I will do what I can to bring you that life. If you wish fame and adventure, I can promise you that there will be glory to be had before long. If you want the chance to begin something new, I promise you that you will have the opportunity. If you will stand with me, I will stand with you!" She gives the crowd a final once over, her eyes scanning them with intensity, "The Duchy of Corussa will rise from the long night, and bring its people to prosperity. I ask you to be those people. If you wish to make your own destiny, your own home, then come to the Frothy Flagon Tavern and speak to me or one of my retainers."

The woman hops down from the crate and fastens an ultramarine blue silk cloak, which shimmers as she strides away in the direction of the tavern in question. Upscale for this part of town, but certainly not above the means of most working folk, it's a nice enough place with a slightly rough edge to it. She disappears into the dimly lit doorway.
Back to top Go down
https://duchyofcorussa.canadian-forum.com

Our Story Begins
Page 1 of 1